Welcome
to the world my sweet baby boy!
Rylan Jason Flesock
Born May
16, 2013
Weighed
8lbs 0oz
Measured
19.5 inches
We arrived to the hospital Wednesday night at 7:00pm to check in and report
for our scheduled induction. This Baby Flesock is coming out! We have been
looking forward to this moment for so long. By time we had settled into our labor and delivery room and received the induction tablet, it was 9:15pm. We waited two hours to hear we had finally begun dilating. Yay! I couldn’t believe it was finally happening. Moose was on his way. I kept thinking to myself, “tomorrow I will hold my baby!”
My contractions came on fast and strong but lasted 19 hours before I was fully dilated. Dr. Santa gave the “OK” to push at about 2:00pm. I pushed and pushed for 2 hours before I spiked a fever. The nurse and Dr. Santa let me know Moose was “Sunny Side Up” which meant he was facing the wrong direction. There are methods to help reposition a baby during labor however; because I had spiked a fever Dr. Santa used the “C” word. No, not “cheeseburger”…WORSE! “Cesarean!”
I sobbed and begged Dr. Santa to let me keep trying. I felt so so close! With hesitation, Dr. Santa said he could give me another 30 minutes to try. After 30 minutes had passed Dr. Santa held my hand and told me I had done everything I could and although I had tried my hardest, the baby just wasn’t going to come out on his own. With tears in his eyes, Dr. Santa assured me he would take care of me in the operating room. Finally, he said it was time. I kissed my mom goodbye and I was wheeled into the operating room.
Jason wasn’t allowed into the operating room until the procedure was about to begin. They told him to wait in the hall for “the longest 15 minutes” of his life. They told him just when he thought they had forgotten about him they would be there to let him in. Dr. Santa sat with me and held my hand while a large team swarmed around me preparing for the “C” word. Dr. Santa was so kind and supportive. Not long after he left my side I heard the magic words…”Bring Dad in!” Jason was by my side and as the procedure began I begged him to talk to me. Talk to me and don’t stop!
About 15 minutes into the procedure someone directed Jason to grab his camera and stand up. Jason pointed the lens over the barrier and began snapping aimlessly. Within seconds Baby Flesock entered our great big world with a sweet newborn bellow. My baby boy was finally here!
Once Baby Flesock was born, Jason never left his side. A nurse asked what the baby’s name was and my proud husband announced, “Rylan Jason!” With those words echoing in my mind I closed my sleepy eyes. I was finally surrendering to the extreme fatigue and relentless efforts of the medications. My body rocked back and forth as Dr. Santa and his team finished their task and my focus juggled between the surgery, my baby and my sleepy surrender.
The anesthesiologist asked us to smile for the pictures and I wasn’t quite sure I was smiling or if my eyes were even open. I didn’t have any energy left to greet my little one…all I could do was kiss his little face.
Eventually, the world around me faded and I woke in a recovery room. I was thirsty and itchy and so so tired. I tried to look around to realize where I was and for the first time I felt a sense of panic because my baby was gone. My baby bump! I lifted the blanket and felt a wave of sorrow as my little Kangaroo was missing. I could hear my baby cry. He seemed so far away. The fatigue took me away again. I woke up a second time to a nurse adjusting my dressings and I could hear that cry again. Still seemed so far away. Finally, a familiar face! Jason stood by my side beaming only the way a new father beams. He talked and talked and told me all about our baby but once again, the fatigue took me away. I was so tired. Another nurse came and went before I noticed Jason by my side again. He told me they were about to bring our baby to me to nurse and have skin-to-skin contact.
I faded one last time before he came. I looked down to see a tiny baby latched to my chest. I tried to fight it this time but I faded again! When I opened my eyes next, I was alone with my baby. He lifted his head off my chest and turned his dark eyes and full head of hair towards me. And there he was! My first look at my Moose and I thought, “Oh baby be careful! You can’t lift your head like that. Wait, how are you lifting your head like that?!” His eyes and hair so dark and full…is this my little boy? My heart smiled and I fell asleep again. Next, I remember Jason telling me our mom’s were on their way. My mom! I was so happy to hear my mom was coming.
Our family didn’t stay long. They came to my side briefly before I was moved to our recovery room. Dr. Santa was my last visitor before the move. He held my hand again and told me I had done a wonderful job and he was so happy he was there to help. I mumbled sweet nothings to the kind man who brought my little boy into this great big world and before I knew it he was gone and I fought fatigue again.
When we were finally moved into our recovery room…Room 505…a nurse bathed our little baby and Jason took pictures. Meanwhile, another nurse addressed my new wounds and other unmentionables… :) Soon after our family and their familiar, smiley, tired faces were surrounding us. Once they left for the night it was just the three of us. Finally…my little family together.
The nurses checked in frequently. At midnight I was standing up next to my bedside and taking a few steps towards the bassinet before laying back down. Then at 4am the nurse assisted me and my gear to the bathroom and back. I couldn’t believe I was already up and moving…trying at least! Hehe
Recovery happened quickly and visitors came frequently. We definitely felt the love of our family and friends and spent every moment falling in love with our Baby Rylan. He is here!


No comments:
Post a Comment